From dipping the toes in…to ensuring relevance, a progression.

Dipping our toes in…

The photo to the left is the original image I uploaded in when I had commenced my Masters Degree. This image was symbolic of the philosophy of teaching and learning.  Below is what I wrote back then….

The  picture to the right I found on National Geographic’s website and it immediately resonated with me. As a teacher I think it is important that we allow kids to explore their world and learn by trying new things, exploring their own interests and passions, being creative and taking risks. As teachers we need to let them explore their own worlds and give them every opportunity to find their passion. Of course we need to guide them and share our own experiences in that will give them the best opportunity for them to be at their best.

This picture shows a lion cub venturing out into the water, with the parent and siblings (or peers) right behind. Despite the potential dangers the adult lion is giving the cub space to explore and learn on its own. I think this picture embodies some of my thoughts about teaching. At times we will be side by side with our students as we both learn and explore and at other times we must let students find and develop skills that align closely with their own interests.

Upon reflection about my initial choice of image, I think the image of the lion cub dipping their toes in was a reflection on my current thinking at the time. I was primarily focused on the teaching and learning process at the classroom and individual level. My thinking was dominated by work like John Hattie’s (Hattie, 2010) work around visible learning and ensuring that desired learning outcomes are known by learners or Kathy Walker’s (Walker, & Bass, 2011) &(Walker, 2007) teaching and learning philosophy based on the assertion that learners need a broad range of experiences to develop skills for life.  (“Walker Learning | Early Life Foundations – Kathy Walker”, 2017)  

While my personal philosophy of teaching and learning hasn’t changed too much in the last four years while I have been completing my Masters of Education journey my thinking has probably evolved from a focus that was primarily centered on classroom and individual learner focus to a more broaders existential questions around education. My perspective has definitely broadened and thoughts about the future and purpose of education have become more prevalent in my thinking. Texts like the one prescribed in this subject, New Learning (Kalantzis, & Cope, 2012) and Ken Robinsons ‘Finding your Element’ (Robinson, & Aronica, 2014) have introduced more holistic broad thoughts about education, technology, culture and the future of schools into my current perspective. The changing world and the need for schools to act with reflexivity to stay relevant has been a personal theme.  With this in mind, here is a new image I have selected to represent my thoughts. I will leave its interpretation up to the reader…